Saturday, June 19, 2010

A Bit of Mourning

Tonight I can't sleep. It is warm and humid and Borrelia do not like heat. Our youngest has awakened several times, anxious and in pain. Though she's finally sleeping, I've given up for the moment and here you find me. At the computer at 4am. Perhaps I'll sleep better in a bit.

Each time I sit down to the computer, I face the evidence my life has changed. In high school, I was blessed with an English teacher who taught me to write well. With Lyme, what once took minutes can take hours. I read and reread because of multiple errors; errors I never made before.

My girls want to learn to play piano. Our teacher encourages parents to take lessons first so they can help their child during the week at home. This week I took my second piano lesson and teared up. I don't know how to explain it other than the piano acted as a magnifying glass to the weaknesses that have developed in my body. The muscles in my hands and arms were screaming their fatigue. I felt there was a wrestling match taking place between my brain and the rest of my body. The piano teacher was patient and kind as I tried to explain my emotions. I learned if I look at my hands as I play, my brain has an easier time communicating with the rest of my body. I sense piano could become a form of physical therapy in my healing. It also raises the question should I look at myself as I walk? I may try this in a safe place in our home as my legs occasionally have a mind of their own.

To face Lyme, it often takes superhuman strength, both physically and emotionally. Perhaps tonight I needed to mourn for a bit the person I used to be, as I feel the need for sleep returning. Sweet dreams and bless you for sharing this journey.

3 comments:

  1. i'll always remember the kindness you showed my daughter, and wish that i could return even a fraction of that kindness to you.
    i wish you comfort and peace as you walk through this difficult journey. the kindness you've shown to a little girl you didn't even know tells me that at your core you are a genuine loving giving person and no disease can take that from you.
    -melissa
    http://knittingsandwich.typepad.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, I have been blessed to have crossed your path. Sending love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. two of my children play piano... it is a blessing.. one is struggling right now in a pretty harsh way with the READING of the sheet music, and finds herself attempting to quickly memorize it... so she can watch her hands to keep them from misbehaving...
    lookingat the music also "hurts"...
    seeing the eyedoc tomorrow...
    <>< anika

    great post.. wonderderful addtional insight...
    AS always :)
    (((hugs)) from across the universe... or so itseems..
    you are a blessing

    ReplyDelete