Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Sometimes the Horse is the Zebra II

Now, two people who had battled Lyme were telling me my symptoms matched. My hair stylist was fighting Lyme disease and seemed to know my new symptoms before I walked through the door. Because our symptoms were virtually identical, she wondered if I might have Lyme disease in addition to Lupus while I wondered if her doctor had missed Lupus? Early in our friendship, she gave me a Lyme test kit for Igenix, which my rheumatologist discarded in the trash. At the time, I did some research on my own finding the two diseases were very similar and took comfort in knowing that I was working with one of the top rheumatologists in the country. As my symptoms continued to worsen and my disease pattern mimicked hers, I remember saying later in our friendship either she had Lupus or I had Lyme, because we certainly had the same disease. Now a second person was saying the same thing! The time had come for more research.

Doctors were so insistent on looking for the horse when hearing hoof beats, but what if, just maybe, the hooves belonged to a zebra?

No comments:

Post a Comment