Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Abandoned

I turned to the Internet and found a physician, Linda K. Bockenstedt, MD, at Yale who was doing research with Lupus and Lyme. It seemed a perfect match. I approached my university rheumatologist who was open to the idea because she knew the doctor. When the referral came to my home, it was highly biased. According to the referral, I had all of the classic symptoms of Lupus including a prominent malar rash though she had earlier discredited my rash as malar. She also said I was suffering from Lupus-induced anxiety. Money was tight. With such a biased referral, we feared the trip would be a waste of time, money and energy.

At the same time my case was painted as classic Lupus, which just a few weeks earlier had been considered atypical Lupus and perhaps not Lupus at all, my Prednisone was running low. I had been taking it for years and my body no longer was able to make cortisol on it’s own. It was life-threatening if I didn’t take it. Neither my phone calls or the pharmacy’s were answered in repeated attempts to seek a renewal. My local rheumatologist said I was a patient of the physician he had referred me to. On my third call to that office, a nurse answered the phone and the office had no choice, but to fill the prescription. Did this mean they were beginning to question my earlier diagnosis, too, especially since, if I did have Lyme, prednisone was one of the last drugs I should be on?

Our family left for spring break in Phoenix to visit my husband's family. The plane ride was excruciating for me. I was hit by a crippling migraine as soon as we ascended. It would not respond to medication and I was in agony until we landed when it almost instantaneously disappeared. While in Phoenix, I realized I had miscounted my Plaquenil, a prescription I normally received from Medco, a mail order pharmacy. I tried repeatedly, along with the Walgreens pharmacist in Buckeye, AZ, to have the rheumatologist’s office call in a prescription to carry me over. They never did. I knew at that point I was on my own. I suspected it was because they feared a misdiagnosis had compromised my health. Wagons were circled, and backs turned. Fearing a lawsuit, they chose to protect their own rather than care for their patient. Somehow, I needed to find a new doctor, one I could trust, to to provide a critical unbiased diagnosis, but where could I safely turn? I debated this question as I wrestled another excruciating migraine flying home.

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog -- made my way over from Lymenaide site. Really love it. I hope you find the answers you are seeking soon. It is very scary to abandoned.
    I was diagnosed in late 2007 with Lyme. I had been VERY ill for 4 years. My LLMD believes I've had Lyme for approx 18 yrs. My husband and 2 daughters also have Lyme. We all have the same co-infections. Coincidence? I think not. We are pretty sure I got Lyme from my husband when we got married. He grew up in Nebraska and had tick bites when he was little. His immune markers show very strongly that he has had Lyme the longest. So ... on we go. My healing is very slow but I am progressing.
    Hope you are having a "good" day. I will be visiting you blog often. I love it! Thanks for being honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kara. I have been retelling our family's story. This part happened during the spring of 2007. Your comment reminds me that I should include a date with each blog as the blogs are chronologically sharing our family's journey. I am so pleased to hear that you are progressing and hope your family is progressing slowly, too. Looking forward to visiting with you and sharing in your insights, too. All my best!

    ReplyDelete