Friday, October 2, 2009

Occum's Razor


While sitting at our computers, we let the questions fly.

Could the Lyme bacteria be transmitted in utero? Yes.

Does it cause premature birth? Yes.

Create problems with the placenta? Yes.

Cause intrauterine growth retardation? Yes.

Cause birth defects of the eye? Yes.

Result in severe allergies and asthma? Yes.

Compromise the immune system? Yes.

We were shocked! We had an explanation not only for my own health conditions, but Olivia’s, too! The astronomical statistics suddenly fell into place.

Olivia had grossly enlarged lymph nodes in her neck. A year earlier, I had become concerned Olivia might have Lupus because we had so many overlapping symptoms. Her endocrinologist had feared cat scratch fever because it would explain her nodes. Lyme disease also caused chronically enlarged nodes. Had we been that close to a diagnosis a year earlier?

Mikayla, also a preemie, had health issues, too; daily headaches, muscle and joint pains, stomach pain, Achille’s tendinosis, asthma and a tendency for bronchitis, her body’s inability to hold up in competitive sports like gymnastics and soccer. I was hit with the reality both girls might be ill, though my husband quickly discounted Mikayla. He was adamant. I finally asked him why?

I’ll never forget his answer, “I just can’t comprehend all of my girls being sick!”

Yet the pieces fit, perfectly. It was as though we had been working on a thousand piece puzzle for years with little success and all of a sudden the pieces were flying into place. At one point, my husband exclaimed, “It’s Occum’s razor!”

I asked what he meant? He said the simplest explanation is often the correct one. The pieces fit because we had found what was wrong. I had Lyme disease. My family had Lyme disease.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great post. Hard to read, I cried, but so important. It is better to know than not to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! The unknown is the scariest!

    ReplyDelete